Saturday, July 19, 2014

What's Cooking? Preggo Po'Boys


This winter we celebrated Mardi Gras on Scarlett's Excellent Adventures and I had my first po'boy following a recipe from Ms. enPlace (see the post here). Now that I am pregnant, I still have morning & evening sickness (even at 22 weeks) and I cannot eat chicken, which is the mainstay of our household diet. This leaves me searching for food I can and want to eat. I always have chicken sausage in the freezer, and one day I had a craving for po'boys. I remember how yummy the sausage was cooked in beer, the sweet flavor of the beer sauce, and the whole thing mixed together on a freshly baked baguette. Yum!


I wasn't sure if all the alcohol in the beer boiled off while cooking the sausage, so I decided not to take any chances. A simple solution: root beer! Just replace the beer in the recipe with root beer - and voila! Preggo Po'Boys! They were just as good as I remembered, except the root beer does give the sausage a slightly tin-like taste. I would love to try ginger beer in this recipe as well, so maybe next time. All in all, they were the same sweet and wonderful po'boys I remembered, but safe for the baby.

2 comments:

  1. I just love the name! So cute! Very creative using root beer. Ginger beer sounds good too. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michele! I'm sure beer would have been fine to use, but I get so weird about what I should be eating during pregnancy. This was a yummy way to have a po'boy. I just might make these again this week!

      Delete