Friday, February 28, 2014

What's Cooking? King Cake Donuts


Earlier this week, I made a King Cake from a recipe on Ms. enPlace's blog. In Michelle's post on the traditional King Cake, she reminisces about having King Cake in school, and that the child who got the baby or bean had to bring in the next cake. She remembered fondly kids bringing in a donut King Cake from a local bakery. The King Cake I made earlier this week, was a little too bread-like for my sweet-tooth family. So in order to appease the Northern masses, and as a surprise for Michelle, I made King Cake Donuts. They have the same flavors as the traditional Mardi Gras King Cake, but in a sweet, baked donut. It sounded like the King Cake donut Michelle remembered, was one large donut shaped like a traditional King Cake. Since I bake my donuts using my Wilton Donut Pan (You can get your donut pan from my affiliate store at Amazon), I wasn't able to make the 1 large ring, but regular sized donuts. We absolutely loved the result!




King Cake Donuts

Ingredients
1 cup flour
½ cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ – ¾ tbsp. cinnamon (depending on taste)
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp lemon zest or lemon juice
½ cup milk
1 egg
¼ cup plus 1 tbsp oil

Preheat oven to 350°. Put donut pan in cold oven and preheat with oven. In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat egg and milk together and then add lemon zest (or lemon juice) and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly with an electric mixer. Using oven mitts, carefully remove donut pan from oven. Spray donut wells with cooking oil. Pour batter into donut wells until they are about ½ full. Bake for 12-17 minutes* or until firm. Cool and enjoy. Makes 10 donuts.

*Baking for 17 minutes makes crispier donuts. Please note that ovens may vary, so times may vary for desired donut consistency. 

For Donut Glaze -  I used my favorite Vanilla Glaze from Allrecipes.com. Apply glaze after donuts have cooled.
 
We loved these King Cake baked donuts and hope Michelle loves them too (and isn't rolling her eyes too much). They were pretty easy to make, and as you can see from my picture, I was even able to get a couple donuts colored with yellow and green sugar (still no purple...). I hope you enjoy a sweet little taste of Mardi Gras! Michelle will be here next week as our guest – on Mardi Gras!

12 comments:

  1. Scarlett, I'm not at all rolling my eyes! In fact, I'm smiling over this sweet surprise. Brings back a lot of memories. I think individual donut King Cakes make eating King Cake even more special. You are clever to have put them on a purple napkin. I didn't even notice there was no purple sugar! (I found some Wilton purple food coloring paste at Wal-mart--craft area by cake decorating supplies.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! For the tip on the purple food coloring and for NOT rolling your eyes! I wasn't sure if you were a purist when it comes to your regional cooking, but I wanted to surprise you in a good way. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for linking, Scarlett.
      I used to be a food purist but have drastically mellowed with age!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! They were very good and festive! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking up with the Let's Get Real party. We hope you'll join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun (and delicous) way to reminisce! I stopped by from Tuesday's Table to check out your dish, 'cause they just looked so darn good! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of these being an actual cake. I guess I'm going to see much more things for Mardi Gras since it is coming up! This donut looks very pretty too. Thanks for sharing it with us at Countdown in Style! Don't forget to stop by Friday to see if you are featured!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good!! Now I just want donuts...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. Just the right size so I don't overindulge. Thanks for linking up with us at Let's Get Real Friday Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every year, I think of doing something for Mardi Gras, but as someone who no longer practices Catholicism, most years I completely miss it! I am so thankful to have lost a lot of my sweet tooth. Doesn't stop me from snacking though! Thanks for linking up with Countdown in Style.

    ReplyDelete