Tuesday, February 11, 2014

What's Cooking? Flamin' Slow-Cooker Chicken Soup

Happy 100th post! I am so excited to have hit the 100 post mark, and  I am also happy that you are here to read them. Thank you! Today I have a recipe that will help get you through the rest of the winter. Enjoy!

It's the middle of winter and for 2 weeks I have been battling a never-ending cold. During this time, I didn't want to cook anything too hard or too complicated. It was time to break out my mom's chicken soup recipe. Like all my recipes, this one has a twist (sorry Mom!). I wanted it easy to make and yummy to eat, so I made it in the slow-cooker versus the stove top. The first time I made this soup in the slow-cooker was around Christmas when I was busy shopping, and we needed a good, hearty and healthy meal, but I was just too busy to cook. I put the ingredients in the slow-cooker and then left to do my Christmas shopping. When I came back, my soup was almost done and my house smelled heavenly! Being sick with cold after cold, I was in the mood for some comfort food and chicken soup is always what the doctor asked for. 
 
What makes this chicken soup different from the rest? This soup contains my mom's secret ingredient. I never knew what it was, but when we were young and mom made her soup, we would be sweating at the end of the bowl. When my husband and I were living together, he got pretty sick so I called Mom to ask her for her chicken soup recipe. I also asked her, what was in it that makes you sweat every time? Mom's answer – chili powder. Holy smokes! So here it is, Mom's Flamin' Slow-Cooker Chicken Soup.



Flamin' Slow-Cooker Chicken Soup

Ingredients 
1 lb boneless chicken breasts & thighs
½ onion
Salt & pepper to taste
32 oz. chicken stock
1 cup water
1 ½ tbsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables
½ cup pasta (optional)
2 chicken (or vegetable) bullion cubes (optional)

Place chicken and onion in slow-cooker. Add chicken stock, water, garlic powder and chili powder*. Cook soup on high for 4 hours or until chicken is done. Cut chicken. If broth has boiled down too much, add ½ cup more water and the bullion cubes. Add more chili powder if soup is not spicy enough. Add mixed vegetables and continue to cook for 20 minutes. If you would like to add pasta to your soup, add the pasta and cook for 20 more minutes.
*Note: listed in the ingredients are 3 tbsp chili powder. Mom's note? "Cover the entire top of the liquid with chili powder." Use as much or as little to taste.

Mom always made her chicken soup with Bisquick dumplings, but I've added pasta here for ease-of-use. The dumplings always absorb a lot of the liquid in the soup and this tends to happen more in the slow-cooker, so I left them out. If you want to add the dumplings, leave out the pasta and follow the directions on the side of the Bisquick package. I hope you enjoy the soup!

51 comments:

  1. I have a migraine right now and normally would not want to eat anything... but this looks SOOO good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's great about this for when you're not feeling well is the easy prep & the slow-cooker - set it & forget it! I hope you make some and feel better!

      Delete
  2. Scarlett, I could use a BIG bowl of this right now! The chili powder puts it right over the top, doesn't it? I bet it smells delicious! Thanks for sharing this at Treasure Box Tuesday! PINNED! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chili powder definitely adds a nice spicy touch - but not too overpowering. It smells soooo good!

      Delete
  3. Oh, this looks and sounds so yummy and if I could hide the chili powder, I'd be all set. There's nothing better than some good chicken noodle soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you or your family doesn't like chili powder or spicy foid, you can always leave it out or put in about a quarter of it. The soup is so flavorful, if you only use a little chili powder, you can barely taste it. In fact, I rarely get it as spicy as my moms.

      Delete
  4. My husband LOVES chili powder and anything spicy hot. I bet he would love this!!! Pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious. I love using my slow cooker for soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! With a toddler, the slow-cooker is my go-to for soups.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on you 100th post! This soup sounds like it would hit the spot. It has been a long cold winter for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This has been a long & cold winter, and I love a good soup. This one is perfect for those winter blues.

      Delete
  7. Chicken Soup reminds me of my Nana - it was her cure for any sickness :) Your recipe looks very delicious too. Rhondda #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Am always thankful to be in the ranks with nanas! :) I think my mom is of that belief too with the chili powder.

      Delete
  8. Mmm... everything's better with a little spice, isn't it?! I'm pinning this recipe for later. #SITS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin! I love spicy food, so always love a little zing in a dish.

      Delete
  9. I can't imagine chili powder in chicken soup - so interesting! I do love spicy food though so maybe I'll give it a try one of these days.

    #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised to find out there was chili powder in it. Even though it sounds scary, it is pretty subtle.

      Delete
  10. That's nice and hearty, and great for this cold winter we're having!
    #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter has been long & awful. I love a good bowl of soup and this weather certainly calls for it.

      Delete
  11. great blog! glad i found you! #SITSBlogging

    http://www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm still making my way through the SITS list. I'm sure I will be over to visit soon!

      Delete
  12. I love to find easy and tasty crock pot recipes. This one sounds delicious and so good for you to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am all about easy & yummy here! With a toddler in the house, I have learned to LOVE my crock-pot!

      Delete
  13. Hope you feel better soon! That sounds yummy! #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I am all about soup this year. It is my goal to post a soup recipe a week on my blog! Hope you feel better.
    Sandra
    The Adored Home
    #SITSblogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good soup. So hearty and low cal too! You will find a number of soup recipes here on my blog. I also love trying new ones. I'm a little behind on the SITS list, but will stop by and check out your soup a week!

      Delete
  15. YUM! I love Chicken Soup. I'm gonna have to try this recipe ASAP. Hope you feel better soon!
    Stopping by from SITS!
    Stacey
    GluedToMyCraftsBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the idea of chili powder in the soup! I love spicy!! Can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks! #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This soup has just the right amount of fire power for it to be a tad spicy but not overpowering. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  17. Um I hit print immediately because I am sitting here drooling!! I have been looking for a different chicken soup recipe and this one sounds amazing!! Thank you. Feel better too!

    #SITSblogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found us! And that you're printing the recipe....and your drooling over it! Thank you!

      Delete
  18. Yum! This sounds perfect for the cold, snowy mess we're currently in. Thanks for sharing. And, I hope you are feeling better very soon! This has been a long winter of sickness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been such a long winter. Thank you! This recipe is not just the perfect sick-day recipe, I love the add of the slow-cooker. So easy, especially when you're not feeling well.

      Delete
  19. This sounds so good. I'm going to make this one for sure. Sometimes mom's recipes are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lately, I have been finding myself going back to all those classic foods. Sometimes they are classics for a reason. :)

      Delete
  20. Congratulations on your 100th post. That's fantastic! I'm stopping in from Let's Get Real today and I'm glad that I did. This looks like the perfect chicken soup recipe for my husband and daughter who like things with a little spice. How fun to finally learn your mom's cooking secret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your family will love this, if they like a little spice. Though it is spicy in a good way, not in an overpowering spicy way.

      Delete
  21. I love the Chili Powder in your recipe to give it a little kick, this looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for reminding me that I can do this in the crock-pot. I've been under the weather so much this winter & soup sounds so comforting! I always forget about the crock pot...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the century of posts! Great soup too. Cheers from Carole of Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy 100th post! That's a lot of work to be proud of.
    I like that the secret ingredient is chili powder...unexpected in chicken soup! Thank you for linking, Scarlett.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have Pinned this & hope to make it soon. Stopping by from the SITS Girls linkup

    ReplyDelete
  26. This would be a great remedy after a couple of days in bed with the flu. Pinning!

    Stopping by from the BYB challenge

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  28. You've got to put a twist on the old recipes...I hear you! This sounds tasty and I love that it's made in a slow cooker! Thanks for sharing at Saturday Night Fever :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds really good!

    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete