Thursday, February 20, 2014

What's Cooking? Chicken Sausage Po'Boys

We're kicking off a week of Mardi Gras fun, featuring authentic Cajun dishes. I have never been to New Orleans or Mardi Gras, but have always longed for the experience through The Travel Channel and The Food Network. The shows only give you a glimpse of what Mardi Gras is like I am sure, but from them I have learned all about beignets, po'boys, jambalaya and king cakes. One year, I was tempted to mail order a king cake straight from New Orleans! I was very happy to find a bloggy friend in Michelle from Ms. EnPlace, a Louisiana native who blogs about her Cajun heritage and foods. I have been reading about her dishes and decided to give a few a try for a Mardi Gras party of our own! What's on the menu this week? We have Sausage Po'Boys, Muffalettas, King Cake and a special guest post from Michelle! We're gonna have loads of fun!

In reading the Ms. enPlace blog, it has a lot of great cajun dishes that I have been yearning to try - her jambalaya looks out of this world, but it is a bit complicated for someone who has never been to Louisiana or has never had real cajun food. So I decided to start easy, with a Po'Boy. If nothing else, I can make a sandwich! I carefully followed Michelle's instructions (find her recipe here) for her sausage po'boys...well, almost. My chicken sausage po'boys have a decidedly Northeast twist. In staying with her home state, Michelle uses Louisiana ingredients, and being from the Northeast, I used a few regional ingredients. Instead of the green onion pork sausage, I used a spicy Italian chicken sausage, and the beer? Good 'ole Sam Adams! We had some Oktoberfest left over, so I used that. Other than those small changes, I followed her recipe to the letter.

Wow! Wow! These Po'Boys were good! The smell from the chicken sausage alone was heavenly (it also pretty much smelled like a brewery, but it smelled good!), and the chicken came out of the beer with a magnificent glaze. I had to fight to keep my husband out of the sausage so it could make it onto the sandwich. I'm not a huge fan of peppers, and mixing the peppers with tomato paste made me skeptical about whether I would like the dish, but adding the beer and honey to the sauce, makes it FANTASTIC! My hubby and I could have eaten the entire pot of sausage in one sitting. I highly recommend it. My husband has been requesting that I always make our chicken sausage cooked in beer. The chicken sausage po'boys were a great kick-off to our Mardi Gras celebration and very easy to make. Next up Muffalettas!

9 comments:

  1. Gah, I want! I wish my husband liked sausage. I will have to make it sometime he is out with the boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to make it for you the next time you come over. ;)

      Delete
  2. My husband would love this! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat, Hope to see you back on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. This is a great guy dish! I think anything with beer the guys will love. ;)

      Delete
  4. I must do chicken sausage ... haven't had it for ages. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! We usually do chicken sausage here opposed to pork sausage. It's finding a good flavor that gets hard. These Spicy Italian Sausages worked well in this dish.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you liked this, Scarlett and that you put your own local spin on it. That's what makes cooking so fun and interesting. Thank you for linking. I have to admit that I've been in a funk and wasn't feeling Mardi Gras this year, but this boosts my spirits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I was able to help! I have been having fun trying your recipes, and it has taken me on a food journey!

      Delete