Friday, February 14, 2014

SAHM Moment: Learn Something with Your Spouse

Happy Valentine's Day! While this is a day that I use as an excuse to dress LO and I in pinks and reds, I am not really a fan of the holiday. As a single girl, I absolutely hated it. I wondered if I would embrace the holiday after I got married – no, I still really don't like it. I am firmly in the camp that we should not need only one day to show or express our love. It should happen all year around. 
 
That being said, after LO was born my relationship with my husband skated along pretty well, until we realized that we had been skating and were starting to hit some thin ice. We needed to work a little bit harder on our relationship, since it had been pretty much forgotten with the demands of a newborn. We try to go out to eat every once in a while, and were lucky when Grandma babysat for LO last weekend, so we could go out to a nice and relaxing lunch. I have read that another way to reconnect is to learn something new together to strengthen your relationship. Hubby and I are pretty different, so it is hard finding something that we both want to learn. This came about in a funny way a couple of weeks ago, when Hubby decided he wanted to crochet a hat. This only somewhat surprised me, since Hubby has been looking for 100% cotton hats since Christmas. At one point, we had talked about our grandmothers teaching us how to crochet. In my case, she was TRYING to teach me how to crochet. I became easily frustrated and never made it past the first chain. So when he showed me the Youtube video on how to make a hat for beginners, I assumed his grandmother had taught him and he could do this.

As the dutiful wife, I went to the store the next day to buy him some yarn and a “Teach Me to Crochet” kit. I brought it home, and he watched the video 3 times, as well as some basic stitch videos and then he started his crochet project. As I am watching him, I utter the fateful words, “can I try?”My hands and brain seemed to remember what I had learned all those years ago, and away I went. The next day, Hubby sent me back to the store for my own yarn and needles. 

There we were, learning how to crochet together. Comparing stitches, me incredulous how hubby's stitches were so neat, he about how I could be going so fast (might explain the messy stitches!), and a lot of laughter. After we worked for a little bit, I checked in with my husband, he looked tense and miserable. He was obviously not really enjoying crocheting. He glared at the yarn and announced, “I give up! I don't have the patience for this!” In the meantime, I made LO the hat from the video.


For my wonderful husband, that learned how to crochet with me and ended up giving me a new hobby, I finished his hat for a Valentine's Day gift. Even though crochet didn't work out for him, we had a lot of fun learning this together, proving that learning something new together really does bring you closer. And now I can ask him his advice on how to do a certain stitch.

10 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet story to read on Valentine's day :) This is my kind of love story. This is real love! Crocheting is something I couldn't see my bf or myself doing EVER but this kinda makes me want to try that or try something else we'd NEVER think of doing. :) Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was hesitant to post this, but it's our quirky life. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading this today!

      Delete
  2. How awesome! I think you are definitely right--having a hobby you can do together helps strengthen marriages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It definitely helped bond us at a different level!

      Delete
  3. UPDATE: Hubby LOVED the hat I made for him. He was so surprised, and said it was the best gift anyone had ever given him. Awwww!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome (and funny) story! My husband and I took an American Sign Language class together once. He didn't pursue it after our class. However, I find it very useful speaking to my children, especially in church : )

    Valentine's Day: A Change in Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! Now, maybe he was just trying to get you to crochet his hat all along and you fell for it :) - lol. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you tried something new together! And, the hat looks good, too! I haven't crocheted anything except the baby blanket I made my little girl 6 years ago... One day maybe I will take it up again!

    Stopping in from BYB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw...I love that! So great that he was willing to try and learn - even if he gave up! I'm trying to learn crocheting and it's frustratingly hard sometimes!!! And all I can really figure out is how to make a scarf - every time I try something rounded like a hat I just get mad so good for you for sticking with it :) I'll keep trying...sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great that he was willing to try something new, and that the 2 of you were able to learn together. An added bonus that you now have a new hobby and he has a new hat! :)

    ReplyDelete