Being a new mom of two, I have not yet figured out a routine...do we even have a routine? Constantly feeding the baby and keeping up with a preschooler is time consuming, and nutritious meals are sometimes hard to come by. To make sure I eat well, I have had to take a few shortcuts. Since it is also winter and fresh produce is scarce under 3 feet of snow, I have found myself using more canned beans, vegetables, and sometimes fruit. I'm not a huge fan of canned foods because they can have added salt, seasonings, sugar & preservatives, but they are convenient and can add an extra vegetable to a dish. That being said, there are a few ways to make quick meals using canned fruits or vegetables.
- Look for fruit packed in natural juice not syrup. Fruit packed in syrup is high in sugar & calories.
- Look for Low Sodium, Low Salt or even better, No Salt Added vegetables.
- Use frozen fruits & vegetables vs canned whenever you can if fresh veggies are not available.
- Look at the ingredients. Find the canned item with the least amount of ingredients and preservatives. It might take a few minutes to find, but they really are out there. The Organic options tend to have less ingredients.
- Rinse, rinse, and rinse again. Rinsing canned goods will help remove some of the salt or sugar.